Thank you for your interest in teaching for Living Yoga! We are looking for long term volunteers to lead trauma-informed yoga classes at our partner sites.
Required Qualifications: A minimum of three years of consistent yoga experience, and a desire to learn how to teach trauma-informed, mindfulness based yoga. Prospective volunteers with backgrounds in social work, recovery fields or other comparable experience are encouraged to apply. We ask for a minimum commitment of teaching twice a month for 12-18 months.
Applicants will be selected based on yoga practice and history, related life or professional experience, availability in relation to our class opportunities, and commitment to service and social justice. In order to teach for Living Yoga volunteers must complete the Living Yoga Volunteer Teacher Training.
The teacher training curriculum includes:
- How to teach a trauma-informed yoga class
- Practice teaching with supportive feedback and role play
- The how's and why's of teaching in institutional settings, including prisons, and to special populations, such as those in recovery
- The philosophy of Karma Yoga and social justice
- How to design a sequence for Living Yoga populations-including modifications for various settings and populations
Trainings are held three times per year and training tuition is $325.
We are now accepting applications for our next teacher training, which will take place June 9-11, 2017. Application deadline is Sunday, April 30th.
Please be advised that we receive a large number of applications. Registration is limited, and we typically accept approximately 25 trainees. Training can be applied to Yoga Alliance continuing education credits. Other CE opportunities may apply.
How to become Living Yoga Volunteer Teacher
- Complete a Living Yoga Volunteer Application
- Register and attend an information session. Dates and times for information sessions are included in the confirmation email you receive after submitting your application.
- Register for Teacher Training. Upon acceptance into the training, you will be sent a link to register and pay the $325 tuition fee. At that time you will also be sent a link to do a background check.
- Attend our AWESOME 3-day Teacher Training.
- Develop and complete an individualized on-boarding plan with the Living Yoga office. All prospective volunteers (regardless of yoga/teaching experience) will then begin their service in collaboration with experienced volunteers. This will help determine the volunteer’s readiness to serve as a teacher for Living Yoga.
- Complete the clearance process for the assigned site and any site-specific training. In addition to the background check completed by Living Yoga, many of our sites require that our volunteers go through the site's volunteer clearance process. This can have multiple steps.
- Teach or co-teach twice a month for 12-18 months in a Living Yoga class.
- Submit attendance numbers and share class insights on the Volunteer Facebook page.
- Attend events and continuing education workshops.
- Once accepted into a teacher training session, you can defer your acceptance up to one training session later.
- Refunds are considered on a case-by-case basis and only under extreme circumstances. If a refund request is made and approved, please note that a $50 processing fee will be charged.
"I thought I wanted to go into art therapy and I needed to do some volunteer work for the program I was interested in. I found Living Yoga and completed the training and started teaching yoga to teens in drug rehab and fell in love with teaching yoga. I was no longer interested in art therapy; I feel that I am practicing the most personal and potent art therapy when I teach movement. Taking the Living Yoga training changed my life path and took me in a direction that feels so much more in line with my goals and principles." -Wendi Lynch - Aerial Yoga Hawaii